A very welcoming, family friendly village with beautiful green spaces and access to the Downs
More About Our Village
Stapleford lies seven kilometres SE of Cambridge. The river Granta could be forded there, though the ford has long since been replaced by a bridge.
The population has grown greatly over the last two hundred years. At the 1801 census there were 235 people and in 1831 464. Numbers reached a peak of 594 in 1871, a number not exceeded until 1931 when they attained 636. Since then numbers have grown steadily, to 831 in 1951, 1548 in 1961, 1567 in 1971, 1668 in 1981 and 1749 in 1991, falling back slightly to 1740 in 2001. The estimated figure in 2010 was 1880. The boundaries of the parish remained almost unchanged until 1985, when three dwellings on the further side of the old ford were gained from Sawston. The ancient parish contained 1835 acres (743 hectares).
The village has a primary school (the Community Primary School), a church hall (the Johnson Hall), a church
The pavilion, on the recreation ground, was completely renovated in 2012 and re-named the Jubilee Pavilion to mark the diamond jubilee of HM Queen Elizabeth II.
Stapleford established a twinning link with Villedomer situated in the Loire Valley, France, near to Tours. More information about the link can be found on other pages in the website.
Wandlebury, with 110 acres (40 ha) of woods and chalk grassland, the remains of a 5th Century BC Iron Age Hill Fort (a Scheduled Ancient Monument), walks over some 8 miles (12 km) of meandering footpaths, lies in the north-east corner of the parish.
The Magog Down is an area for restoration, conservation and informal recreation on the Gog Magog Hills just south of the boundary of the City of Cambridge, off the A1307 road to Linton and on Haverhill Road, Stapleford.
Recent Blog Posts
May 20, 2015 |
We are very pleased to have a new conductor Jacquie McBride for the choir and are enjoying singing a wide...
April 13, 2015 |
The Annual Parish Meeting will be held on 22nd April at 7.30pm in the Jubilee Pavilion. As our street lamps are...
March 12, 2015 |
The Parish Council have been successful in their bid for Lottery funding for the installation of the following...
March 12, 2015 |
Sunday 17th May Magog Down For more info please contact : firstname.lastname@example.org
March 9, 2015 |
Stapleford History Society are planning a community dig over the weekend 16 – 17 May. Now we’re looking for...
March 2, 2015 |
Extra Ordinary Parish Council Meeting 7.30pm on Wednesday March 4th in the Jubilee Pavilion
February 26, 2015 |
Tuesday 31st March 2.30 – 3pm Jubilee Pavilion, Gog Magog Way , Stapleford. Please come and join us for a...
February 24, 2015 |
Stapleford 1940’s themed Village Weekend 27-28 June 2015 Including the Village Show and Brownie Cafe Big Band...
February 8, 2015 |
The next Parish Council Meeting is 7.30pm on Wednesdaty 1th Feb in the Jubilee Pavilion
January 26, 2015 |
YOUR VILLAGE NEEDS YOU! Please come and support the Village weekend at a planning meeting in the...